12 July 2008

PHP frameworks: performance

For some time now I've been trying to figure out what to do about PHP frameworks. Most notably I've been wondering which one would be best for my needs and whether or not it's worth my time learning one. The problem is that there are so many. Zend, Cake, and Symfony appear to be pretty popular (at least, they are frequently mentioned in PHP blogs).

developertutorials.com has a post which highlights a recent performance analysis of Zend, Cake, and CogeIgniter. The concluding sentence is a good summation:

...if you’re building small applications, CakePHP will clearly save you time in development, CodeIgniter will offer massive performance benefits, and Zend will give you a reasonable middle ground.


Still not sure which one I want to try, but I lean a bit toward Zend (although it has received some recent criticism regarding its coding conventions and documentation). I like it that you can use it as a full-blown framework or just import the features you need for your application.

When I get some time, I guess *shrug*