16 July 2008

barn swallows

About a month ago I started noticing a bird's nest attached to the wall near the door to my apartment. I'd occasionally see a couple of small, orange-and-black birds coming and going. Because of something that happened a couple of days ago, I wanted to find out what kind of birds they were.

A Web search directed me to whatbird.com. This site has a pretty cool search feature allowing you to enter certain characteristics of a bird (size, color, tail shape, etc.), and it'll help you figure out what kind of bird it is. Turns out that my neighbors are barn swallows.

The thing that happened earlier in the week is that their eggs hatched. So now I have about four other new neighbors. I took a few pictures and posted some of the better ones to my flickr account:

closeup

feeding

No comments: